Works in Progress
- Persistent Pandemics (with Christopher M. Meissner), 2021, Economics and Human Biology. 43(2021)
- Economic Openness and Government Size: New Findings from the History 1850 - 2009, (with Jie Mao and Hanhui Guan), 2015, Economic Research Journal (经济研究)
- Economic Development, Political Structure, and Education Inequality in China: 1907 - 1930 (with Hanhui Guan and Se Yan), 2014, Economic Science (经济科学)
- LIFE-M: The Longitudinal, Intergenerational Family Electronic Micro-Database (with Martha J. Bailey, A.R. Shariq Mohammed, Paul Mohnen, Jared Murray, Mengying Zhang, and Alexa Prettyman), Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2022-10-05. https://doi.org/10.3886/E155186V4
- Marital Matching and Women's Intergenerational Mobility in the Late 19th and Early 20th Century U.S. (with Martha J. Bailey) [Job Market Paper]
- Persistent Human Capital Spillovers? Evidence from China's Send-down Migration, R&R, The Journal of Urban Economics
- The Effects of the Great Depression on Children's Intergenerational Mobility (with Martha J. Bailey, A.R. Shariq Mohammed, and Alexa Prettyman), in process at Russell Sage Foundation Journal [draft available upon request]
- The Creation of LIFE-M: The longitudinal, Intergenerational, Family Electronic Micro-Database Project (with Martha J. Bailey, A.R. Shariq Mohammed, Paul Mohnen, Jared Murray, Mengying Zhang, and Alexa Prettyman), Conditional Accepted, Historical Methods: A Journal of Quantitative and Interdisciplinary History.
- Health vs. Wealth? Public Health Policies and the Economy During Covid-19 (with Christopher M. Meissner), May 2020, NBER Working Papers No. 27099 (media coverage at Yahoo! Finance, Yahoo News)
- Immigration and Infant Mortality in Massachusetts: Evidence from the Age of Mass Migration (with Katherine Eriksson and Gregory T. Niemesh)
- Japanese Evacuation in WWII and U.S. Agricultural Productivity (with Giovanni Peri)
Works in Progress
- Medical Technology and Life Expectancy: Lessons from the Free Supply of Antitoxin in Massachusetts (with Philipp Ager and Casper Worm Hansen) [preliminary draft available upon request]
- Life Expectancy and Education: Evidence from the Discovery of Insulin in the 1920s.